So things were going along smoothly with the vacation home purchase and we were on track to close by Dec. 30. Then yesterday I was hit with a little surprise – the current owners had their contract fall through on two different offers, so now they need to remain in the house as tenants. Ugh!! I was so excited to get in the house and start fixing it up – especially since my office is closed through the holidays. I’m not sure what I’m going to do. On the one hand, I can charge them a hefty rent and get a few months of mortgage paid. On the flip side – they’re not the cleanest nor most responsible home owners. I’m really not keen on messy people living in a house that I own. Also, my insurance rate will need to be increased if I have full time tenants. Such a pain in the butt to have to deal with that! Any advice would be greatly accepted!
Ok, so apparently I suck at blogging. I started this blog to keep accountable with my goals, but I keep forgetting to blog my progress. Duh! Regardless of my failure to post, I promise, I’ve been keeping a good pace toward this year’s goals. I have proof! Here’s what I’ve been up to since my last post:
1. I’m buying a vacation home! I came up with this crazy idea in April when I last visited my mom in Florida; and made it a goal to reach before the end of this year. I started a serious house hunt in September. I’ve been practically living on Zillow since the summer and lately feel closer to my realtor than I do to my husband…ha! Luckily that will all slow down now that we’re in escrow and nearing our closing date. Yay! Stay tuned for all the fun projects involved with this new adventure!
2. Another goal was to come up with a solution to our adult beverage situation. My husband and I entertain at our house a lot, and we also enjoy our own post-work quiet time with a vodka tonic (or two). We therefore have quite an extensive collection of alcohol and it all sits on one of our kitchen counters, since we access it daily. It took up so much valuable counter space and it was a total eyesore and embarrassment when anyone new came into our home. I wanted to find a liquor cabinet/server that will hide all the bottles and have space for us to mix our drinks, and be the right size to fit on our main floor so it can be easily accessed. I searched furniture stores and online for just the right item, but everything I saw that met my requirements was over $1000. No way would I pay that much money just to hide our everyday liquors. Then one day I was browsing a thrift store and found a beat-up ugly old dry sink, and thought, “Well now, that just might work as a liquor cabinet!” I bought the chunky old cabinet for $50 and got to work on refinishing it to turn it into the modernized idea of what I had in my head. Here are the before and after pictures:
The crowded counter top, which is now a pretty coffee station:
My ugly dry sink, turned beautiful liquor cabinet:
3. I worked on another furniture project that had been sitting on my to-do list for well over a year. I got a kids bedroom set for free from a neighbor, who was updating her now teenage daughters bedroom. I needed more storage in my master bathroom, so put the nightstand in there to hold toiletries. But it sat there for over a year with stained wood and little kid draw pulls. Not quite a good look for a master bath. My before and after:
4. And one more furniture project that was a year-long goal — my kitchen table. I purchased this very expensive kitchen dining set a few years ago from a popular local furniture store chain. The set looked so lovely and well made, so I shelled out $800+ for it. After about a year of use, the table started getting sticky and stained. My kids homework would stick to it, and the table would look worse after wiping it down. Clearly there was an issue with the finish. I called in on the warrantee and was told the table would need to be replaced. So I got a brand spanking new table, and within 1 year the same thing started happening! I called the store again and was told by the repair vendor they used that the finish is made with cheap chinese chemicals and the same thing would happen each time I got a new table through the warantee. So I said screw it, I’m not going to live with this eye sore for a table – I’ll just refinish it properly myself. Oh boy was that a major project to take on!! I had to sand the table all the way down to blonde wood to get rid of all the crappy chinese finish. This project took me weeks!! I’m happy to say that I finally finished it! Here is my lovely newly refinished table (and a very cute model!):
For my next month’s goal, I’m going to focus on getting through escrow and closing before the end of the year, and with as little stress as possible. Stay tuned! And have a Happy Thanksgiving 😀